The Renewables Grid Initiative and WindEurope jointly organised the event “Grids meet Renewables”, which took place on 20 February in Brussels. The energy sector is currently undergoing a major transition, one that will have a significant impact on citizens, consumers, industry and the environment. For this transition to meet societal expectations, technological and environmental requirements, a variety of energy industry players must come together and decide how best to navigate the changing energy landscape. Our event “Grids meet Renewables” facilitated an open dialogue between the renewables and grid sectors.
The event focused on the following questions:
- How can different industries jointly plan the future landscape of energy?
- How can we ensure that the identification of new sites for renewables goes hand in hand with the analysis of future grid needs?
- How do we optimise grid development to reduce congestions and the overall cost of electricity? How can RES generation contribute to the flexibility of the system?
- How can grid operators benefit from the service and capabilities that RES generation can offer? How could the market be designed?
- What roles can RES companies and grid operators play in making sure that the transition will happen in a fair and acceptable manner?
The Best Practice Fair created opportunities for the exchange and discussion of best practices in different areas relevant to a renewables-based energy landscape. Participants had the opportunity to hear new ideas, take inspiration from industry leaders and learn from the experience of existing initiatives.
During the Conference, all fair stands had the opportunity to pitch their practice and thereby attract participants to engage in conversations with them. Here are the slides used: