Otherlab - a US-based research and development firm - focusses on renewable and clean energy, robotics, automation, digital fabrication, adaptive textiles, advanced manufacturing, computational design tools and more. In 2017, they were charged with modelling an ultra-high resolution picture of the US energy economy. The results showed that "electrifying the US economy from carbon-free sources will reduce the amount of energy needed by more than half." (read more).
Some of the thought-provoking ideas Saul shares during the webinar are:
- High-resolution energy data across all sectors can provide new insight into decarbonisation.
- Efficiency is a false god leftover from the 1970's narratives where the giant efficiency gain is in fact electrification.
- Electrification lowers the primary energy by more than half.
- A focus on electrification can bring positive conversations about transformation to stagnant climate debates.
- There is more storage than we believe in building systems and industry and we should have lower fears of renewable dispatch ability.
- We need to redesign grids to absorb all of these new assets, both generation, and storage.
- One can't consider the generation side of electrification without also considering the demand side - a conversation too rarely had.