The! sectoral plan for transmission lines is the overriding planning instrument for new power lines in Switzerland. During this procedure, possible conflicts are identified, solutions developed and in the end the best possible corridor for the new line is determined. Throughout the process, an adivosry group is regularly consulted.
It consists of representatives of the following institutions:
· Swiss Federal Office of Energy (SFOE) (leading role)
· Federal Office for Spatial Development (ARE)
· Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN)
· Federal Inspectorate for Heavy Current Installations (ESTI)
· Federal Office of Transport (FOT)
· Electricity Industry
· Swiss Federal Railways
· Swiss organizations for environmental protection
· Project engineer
· Local associations for environmental protection
· Concerned canton
During discussions, project specific knowledge is exchanged and possible areas of conflicts are identified. Together with the group, a scoping document for the Environmental Impact Assessment, which is conducted during the next stage, the plan approval procedure, is compiled.